This is the first of Thermionic Culture's Solo series. We chose the Culture Vulture as first to become a mono unit because the original scheme (of Nick Terry's - back in 1996) was to make the Culture Vulture as a guitar distortion unit box, and the prototype is still in use by Edwyn Collins for this purpose, without a service or valve change! The new design is still based around the unusual 6AS6 /5725 distortion valve.
The changes of electronics in the design have been developed by a local young 18 year old electronic whizz-kid, Ricky Sharp. He's also a guitar player and believes in 100% valve electronics, of which his knowledge is rather impressive. As well as adding his own ideas to the audio circuit, Ricky designed the noiseless switching circuit which uses transistors to switch Vactrols. This circuit means still no solid state components in the audio path when switching between "clean" and "dirty" channels. The final design was supervised by Vic Keary, with Jon Bailes, as usual, creating the physical product designs from their concepts and prototypes.
The Solo Vulture must not be thought of as just ½ of a standard Culture Vulture, as it has special extra features, including 2 switchable signal paths controllable either by a toggle switch on the front panel or a foot switch, which makes it suitable for stage use as well as in studios.
- The Clean Channel goes straight from the 1st stage to the output stage.
- The Dirty Channel is amplified further after stage 1, then it hits the "distortion" valve, before the output valve.
- Presence and Active Tuneable Mid Lift as found on the Anniversary editions of the Culture Vulture can be added to the Dirty channel.
- There is also a 4 position Low Pass Filter switch to remove unwanted high top.The Presence adds 2 options of broad mid range to the sound.
The Mid Lift is most effective at low current settings (see below) and can be used at all positions of the Distortion Type switch but is most effective with P selected. It's a high "Q" control with 4 active settings tuned musically and, will really emphasise the guitar, bass or other instrument in a mix or, of course, on stage.
The Distortion Type switch affects the way the distortion valve is configured. "T" is Triode(smoothest 2nd harmonics). "P" is Pentode (more aggressive 3rd harmonics), the most popular. SQ1 & SQ2 are the bizarre "squash" settings and should be used for more extreme effects.
The Meter reads the actual current through the 6AS6 type distortion valve. This is controlled by the Bias Control. When the valve current is 0.25 – 0.3 mA it's least distorted. Very low current gives it a thinner more broken up sound. High current and it's a bit fatter and "woolly" 0.1 mA at SQ2 adds an extra octave to the sound (usually).
Inputs and Outputs are ¼"stereo jacks. The Line In on the back is wired "semi floating" so as not to degrade the signal from a DAW. The high impedance DI in on the front, and the Line and low level outputs on the back are unbalanced so the ring on the jack is grounded. Single or 2 core leads can be used when connecting to balanced equipment.
Thermionic Culture Vulture Solo Features
- Extra "SQ" features for more xtreme effects;
- Presence lift (broad);
- Mid Lift for precise sharp control (previously only on Anniversary Vultures);
- Low Pass filter on rotary switch;
- DI on front will take guitars & basses with ample boost for "dirty" effects;
- Clean & Dirty channels to compare extra effects;
- Silent switching between channels by switch on front panel or
- Foot switch (not supplied) can be used via jack on front panel;
- Stage & studio uses; all valve signal path – no solid state even in switching;
- High output with simultaneous low level out for amps, etc.
The includes a 1 Year return to base warranty. This warranty applies to all equipment which has developed a manufacturer defect during application. Please contact us to confirm the availability and lowest price for any product. For quotes and price matching requests, contact us and include the competing website address.
|Condition||Sealed / New|
|Free Shipping||Hong Kong|
|Delivered HKD Price||Shown at checkout|
Look no further than AudioBuy when buying gear online in Hong Kong , always at the lowest price with free shipping to all locations serviced by FEDEX. Please contact us for stock availability , price quotes , expedited shipping quotes or to arrange a return of your (for the full purchase price of ). You may return most new, unopened items within 30 days of delivery for a full refund. AudioBuy Hong Kong are very proud to carry a large selection of gear. You demand quality, reliability, and innovative design from your gear, and we're here to help you find exactly what you need. We're glad to answer any questions you have and you can always depend on AudioBuy Hong Kong to give you the best possible value on musical instruments and accessories with responsive customer service.
All payments are processed securely by Paypal , offering both buyer and seller protection. Online orders are confirmed in stock and ready to ship before Paypal payment is completed. orders ship FEDEX and will require signature upon delivery. Orders are typically delivered within 4-5 business days following dispatch. Fedex tracking details are provided for all orders.
Hong Kong is a free port and does not levy any duty on imports (or exports). There is also no sales tax or other import charges. The total delivered price for delivery to Hong Kong will be . Detailed information on import declaration procedures and import restrictions can be found at the Hong Kong Customs website.
- Buy products with confidence.
- Ships to most locations in Hong Kong including Kowloon , Tsuen Wan and Yuen Long.
- Return to base repair or replacement (1 Year return to base).
- Please contact AudioBuy.hk Hong Kong for detailed information about our warranty terms and conditions.